Saturday, October 2, 2010

Something Different

Sorry for the delay in posting. I haven't been feeling well all week. Then I haven't felt like tatting for the last few days. I am still tatting Windmills motifs, and should finish the ball of thread over the next few days, if I get back to tatting. According to my estimates, I should get at least seven, and possibly eight, motifs per ball of thread, so I ordered enough DMC Cordonnet thread to complete the doily. I'll post an update on the doily once I have finished the ball of thread. On to the non-tatting portion of the blog post.

Since I have nothing new tatting-wise to show, I thought I'd show you some of the paintings I have done. All of these are from 9-11 years ago when I was in Grades 10, 11, and 12.

The first three are from the "Art History" portion of my high school art classes. For Art History, we had to reproduce a famous artist's painting from a photo in a book, then write a paper about the artist and the painting. All paintings pictured were painted with acrylic paint on a heavy weight paper.

This painting was done when I was in Grade 10. The original was done by Paul Cezanne. I don't remember what the name of the painting is. Couldn't find it through Google Images either.

This painting was also originally done by Paul Cezanne. I don't remember the name of this one either. Found a similar painting through Google, but there was more pictured than what I painted. Not sure if it is the same painting. Painted during my Grade 11 art class.

This painting was originally done by Vincent van Gogh. The painting is called The Trinquetaille Bridge. I painted this one when I was in Grade 12. Personally, I think this painting is the best one out of the three.

Here is a painting I did in Grade 11, I believe:

I painted this from a photo I found in a magazine. Unfortunately, I didn't write down where the photo was taken. I didn't do too bad of a job on this one, though my teacher felt the water could have been done differently. I love this painting.

Finally, another painting from a photo:

The photo I used was from a family vacation to Banff, Alberta or somewhere near it (I was pretty young at the time). In some weird coincidence, my sister used the same photo for a painting in her art class well; I didn't realize it until after I brought my painting home. And, understandably, her painting has several noticeable differences to mine. I don't have a photo, so you'll have to take my word on it.

I hope you have enjoyed this brief view of a different artistic talent of mine. My next post should be tatting related. I ordered some "special" thread to maybe outdo Jane. Think tatting with invisible thread is crazy? I have something more "electric" in mind. Till next time.

5 comments:

  1. I think tatters are naturally artistic!

    So....are you going to do something with LEDs? I think that's what they're called. little electronic lights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like tatting with fiber optic thread and then hook it to a light system?? That would be cool!!!

    I like your HS paintings. I went through art all my years of schooling. You do have many talents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love photos 3 and 4 - they're so cool!

    When I was a kid, I once took drawing classes from the guy that did Kellogg's cereal mascots.... don't think I'm very good at drawing, painting or anything else though... didn't keep it up, so haven't done anything like that in 23 years!

    Guess I'll just stick to my wishful thinking LOL

    So sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well - hope you get better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right about talented tatters Gina. LEDs could be involved. Then again ....

    That sounds pretty cool Mark. This gives me another idea. Thanks Mark. Of course, you're very talented too.

    Thanks Lily. Paintings 3 & 4 are my favourites as well. I haven't painted like this since HS, so I don't know if I can still do it. This is something I should try to do again. And yes, I am feeling better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jeff, a tatter, green thumb and a painter! You are a man of many talents! Good for you! Looking forward to some tatting, too! ;)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hello! Glad you missed me...it's nice to be missed! I missed you and everyone in blogland, too!
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete