Sunday, October 10, 2010

Windmills Doily Progress and Special Thread

I had hoped to post earlier, but obviously that didn't happen. I ended up with a cold this week, and didn't feel like doing anything. I hardly touched my tatting this week. And I spent part of today working on a couple of bracelets that sold this weekend. Which is nice; sales have slowed right down lately. Anyway, I'll make this a short post. I'm still feeling kinda sick, and want to take it easy tonight.

This is the doily as of today. I am working on the seventh motif right now. Or rather, I've been working on the seventh motif for most of the past week. As you can see, the doily has become oval in shape (if you ignore the topmost motif). This is the same way I'll make the doily oval after this round in complete. Since I haven't received my order of thread yet, I'll have to move on to something else once I've finished the ball of thread. I probably won't show the doily again until the round in complete, but we'll see.
Speaking of moving on to something else, I want to mention my special thread. Actually, I'm not going to say much about it at all. Instead here is a video (assuming it works) showing what is special about the thread. By the way, this is actually tatted, no foolin':


Pretty cool, right? This is going to be a work in progress. I was playing with the thread. Due to the nature of the thread, I'll have to carefully plan out a motif to use the thread properly, and will have to use some cotton (or some other thread) to isolate different sections. And I'll need more LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes - a special kind of diode that emits light when electricity flows through it).

Before I go, I want to mention something. I was playing around with Blogger's settings, and discovered that I have the new editor after all. My blog was set to use the old one. So anyone who is using the new editor and wants to go back, check the Settings tab of your blog (it's visible in the new post and list of posts screens, and probably elsewhere) and see if you have an option to switch between the two editors. I've got my blog set to use the new editor so I can see what it's like.

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll get something accomplished this week. Before I go, I want to wish all my fellow Canadians a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. Due to my cold, I have opted to stay in the city until next weekend or the weekend after to go see family. Till next time.

10 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon.

    The windmills look amazing. They really take on a whole new look, and all kinds of patterns emerge, when you put that many of them together. I'm glad you decided to do this in plain white; anything else would have detracted from the look.

    The new thread is very interesting. I take it there's a wire in there; what's it like tatting with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miranda. I hope I feel better soon too.

    I totally agree with you. I love how the motifs look together. This pattern does look its best in white, or perhaps a solid colour.

    I'm not sure of the exact construction of the thread. It doesn't have wire inside it. There are fibres of metal throughout the thread, and perhaps some other fibre mixed in. It tats just like any other thread. I found it quite nice to tat with. I didn't mention it, but the thickness of the thread is similar to a sewing thread; I doubled it to tat with it. It is actually designed for use in a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way the windmill segments make up the larger design!

    HA! I knew it had to be LEDs but I didn't know there was thread to use. cool.

    And the choice for new and old editor will go away, from what I've read. I'm using the html mode for as long as I can. I don't like to have to fiddle too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doily looks awesome Jeff, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

    Very interesting piece you are working on with the LED's. I've never heard of thread like that before.

    I also wanted to let you know that I rec'd the lovely earrings I purchased from you. I just love the design. Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doily looks fantastic! And AMAZING is all I can say about the new thread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the movement in the doily, Jeff. It looks great! Gee, that new thread opens up lots of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! What windmills! That is marvellous tatting, Jeff.

    Now do not take this the wrong way, but when I saw that little video, it was hard for me to sit still and I was very uncomfortable - you see I have just been to the dentist and the deep scaling.... You MUST get the picture! Really, I had to laugh!

    Hope you get better soon. Turkey is far over-rated anyway, and there is plenty of fall left for you to get out and enjoy it!
    ♥ Fox of the Sparkling Teeth : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That windills doily is looking pretty awesome, Jeff! You're not feeling well!? That simply won't do! Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear your sick!! I know it's going around... my co-worker had a bad cold for 2 weeks, and then my neighbor caught it right before she had to travel... go fig!

    I must say, I like that windmill doily... If it were me (and I had the time), I would just keep going to see how big I could make it!

    Did you tat with wire, and then hook it to the LED?
    Where's the battery.. on the other end??
    That would make an awesome bracelet!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAY COOL!!! Nice thread "play" in the video. I can see this contraption working for lighted necklaces during Christmas. Or in my case I would make an on/off bracelet or necklace to hang on me while I run in the mornings when it is still dark. :-D Can't wait to see more about this cool invention in your future posts.

    Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete