Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tatting and Teneriffe Lace, Motif #2

I have finished my second motif for the challenge. Well, it's finished for now. It's missing something but I'm not sure what yet. I guess I should show it:



The centre of the motif is Teneriffe Lace. I am learning how to do Teneriffe Lace. The pattern for it is in the book "The Technique of Teneriffe Lace". The tatting is kind of free form. I had planned on making the motif round, but while working on the second round, I realized that it wasn't going to work with the currant stitch counts. Some changes had to made, which turned into a hexagon. I like it as a hexagon. The thread used is Anchor Pearl Cotton size 8. I seem to have misplaced the label, so I'm not sure of the colour number. Now, onto motif number three.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a stunning combination of laces.
    I am tagging you to share 7 weird or random facts about yourself. :)
    Kate
    http://huttar.net/wordpress/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the motif and it looks gorgeous as is, but if you think it needs more, I wonder how it would look if you added a round of tatting with long woven picots so that the picots kind of mimic the teneriffe? Like here:
    http://sharonstattedlace.blogspot.com/2007/05/another-tease.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sharon for the idea!
    I will have to make another Teneriffe centre to try your idea out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I've never seen the two techniques together before, but they really go together well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nancy,

    I think they go together well too. I'm sure I will combine them again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too too pretty. LOVE the combo.
    JaneEb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, Jeff! Oh, dear! I may have to learn another lace-making technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just went to a class today on Teneriffe lace. Unfortunately we ran out of time and I'm not sure how to make the knot once I've gotten the warp threads on the wheel. Any help would be appreciated.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while since I've done Teneriffe, but the book I used has been placed into the public domain by the author. You can download it here:

    http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/books/sa1980.pdf

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete