As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to take a short break from tatting, specifically tatting on the Monsterpiece Doily. I guess I might still do some tatting, but I have many other non-tatting projects I want to work on first. I've been working on both knitting and crochet projects since I last posted. Instead of making one long post, I will post it in two parts. This first one will just be about the two knitting projects that I have been alternating between and that I will probably keep working on for the next week. I'll try to post the second part, the crochet projects later in the week as I will be away over the weekend.
The first project is probably going to take me awhile to complete.
It's a t-shirt style garment. It's called the Egyptian Desert Tee from the magazine Knitting Traditions Spring 2015. I'm using Knit Picks Lindy Chain yarn in the colour Linen to knit it. Lindy Chain is a linen/cotton blend yarn. I chose it because the recommended yarn, Louet Euroflax, would have cost me close to $200 to buy the required amount. I really can't afford that, considering I would still have to knit it after receiving the yarn. The Euroflax yarn is a 100% linen yarn which would be nice to use if it wasn't so expensive. Lindy Chain is 70% Linen and much more affordable. I think I paid about $50 for it. It isn't an exact match though. It is a little finer so I will have to try to factor that in as I'm knitting. I'm using the recommend needles, and it seems to be working. It might be a bit on the open or lacey side, but it still looks very much like the photo in the magazine. You can see a closeup of the fabric in the middle photo. The model in magazine is wearing the tee over top of another shirt, so I don't think the laceyness will be a problem if I did the same thing. If anyone is curious, the tee is made using the Mistake Stitch Rib pattern which looks really cool and easy. I'm going to be working on this for a while, so don't expect to see any update on this any time soon.
The next knitting project is going a little faster. Though, not that fast since I'm using sock yarn.
I started another pair of socks. This time using actual sock yarn and really fine needles.Well they are US 1 (2.5mm) needles, but that is still pretty small. I'm using Patons Kroy Socks yarn in "Route 66". I'm really loving how these are turning out. They look so complicated, but it's not me it's the yarn. I guess this is a self-striping yarn, but it looks like I'm changing colours like a boss, and maybe even throwing in some Fair Isle colour work for good measure. You may have also notice my new knitting needles I am using in both this and the Egyptian Desert Tee above. They are Knit Picks new Majestic interchangeable and fixed circular needles. They're a gorgeous mix of dark purple, blue and green laminated wood with black cables. I've been avoiding wooden interchangeable needles, but I really like these. I bought a few tips, cables, and the fixed circulars for socks. I really needed them! I also bought a case to hold all my interchangeable needles and most of my required odds and ends. I'll have to share a few photos later as I need to retake one of them.
That's about it for now. Like I said above, I plan on working on these two projects for the next week or so. I'll have to write out the next row of the Monsterpiece doily. I will hopefully start working on it again next week. Till then, I'm enjoying my break! Till next time.