I'm kinda pissed off that I have to write a post about this. Well, I don't have to, but I guess I should share that I am human that makes mistakes and not a machine. I really hoped I would be able to write a post today showing off the finished round 9 of the Monsterpiece Doily. Instead, I get to share with you all how I made a major mistake that I just noticed last night. On the plus side, I think I figured out why the doily is cupping a bit.
I was nearing the end of round 9. It was going really good. Because not all chains had picots on them, I thought it would be harder for me to keep track when I had to make a picot and when I didn't. I was a little nervous that when I got to the end something wouldn't work out. Well, something didn't work out.
I'm sure those of you who have tatted this pattern before can tell, the last repeat is too short. I checked the row for errors. Then double checked and triple checked and I couldn't find any problem. I checked the diagram and then checked the row again. Nothing. I decided to check the previous rounds. It didn't make sense to me, but what the heck, right? Guess what I found?
That's right! A mistake! Each motif on round 5 is supposed to be joined to two picots and on one motif I only joined once. Round 6 is missing three chains and rings because of this error. What both fascinates and infuriates me is that despite this error, rounds 7 and 8 still worked!!! If I had ran into problems with round 7, I could have fixed the error earlier. As it happens, each repeat on round 7 needs, you guessed it, 3 rings from round 6. I just want to scream. Still.
That brings me to what I'm going to do now. Well, I think I have that figured out already. Right after I found the error, err, right after I finished swearing, my mind went into overdrive thinking about what I should do next. I think the best solution I could come up with will involve carefully cut a section of the doily though the three affected rounds. I will have to cut off about half of round 9 since new section will screw up all the picots after the inevitable repair. After the cuts, I will have to hide and reattach thread and, one row at a time, retat the missing sections. Hopefully I make some sense here, I'm not in a right state of mind right now.
If anyone has any suggestions and/or concerns about my plans, please leave a comment. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I don't think the repair will cause any problems with the rest of the doily. I don't think it would be necessary to cut of the whole rows. And just to be clear, I have NOT cut anything yet. As tempting as it was to start cutting last night, I really didn't think it would have been a good idea. I still don't think I should cut anything yet. I'm going to wait at least a couple days until I'm in a better mindset. I'm going to distract myself with some knitting for now. Although, I should probably think about powering down and getting ready to recharge for the night. Um, getting ready to go to bed! Till next time.