Sorry for disappearing, yet again. I was hit with some sort of flu the weekend following my last post. That knocked me down for most of that week. I didn't do anything that week. The following week wasn't much more productive. I worked on some test tatting. I'm not sure I can share, though I didn't do the pieces justice. One required a lot of beads, and I couldn't find a crochet hook fine enough to go through the holes in the beads. I ended up skipping the beads, and left long picots the approximate length of the beads to tat the pattern. It worked, but it isn't as pretty as it should be. Besides the tatting, I have continued with the crochet I mentioned earlier, but I haven't finished anything yet to share. Soon though, hopefully. I will quickly share some weaving I did before I got sick. I've got some more orchid photos too, but I'll leave them until next time.
About three weeks ago, or so, I picked up a Martha Stewart Crafts Knit & Weave Loom Kit from Michaels. I used a 50% off coupon so I got it for about $26; I wouldn't have got it at the full price. This kit does weaving, knitting and double knitting. I have a basic double knitting loom already, and while I may try knitting with this kit, I bought it for the weaving. If you are wondering the kit is made by Lion Brand Yarn and has patterns available on their website. I played around a bit and made a small woven square, then had an idea. The instruction booklet has a pattern for a baby blanket which consists of 3x3 large squares sewn together. I figured I could make a larger "man" sized blanket using the same squares. I think 4x5 squares may work. Each square is 13 inches square (32.5ish cm) so the finished size should be about 52 x 65 inches (130 x 162.5 cm). That should be big enough. I have one square made:
This was made using Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick yarn. I like the way it came out, but I think it took nearly a full ball of yarn to make. I'm not 100% sure if it was a full ball when I started but there isn't much left. I like the yarn (it's a super bulky weight wool acrylic blend that is machine washable and dryable), but what I don't like is that I may potentially need up to 20 balls of yarn (at about $7 each, I think, maybe more). I'll have to watch for sales, and who knows, it may be possible to get more than one square per ball. Even 1 1/2 squares would be more acceptable. We'll see if anything comes from this. I'll provide updates when and if I make any progress.
That's about it for now. I bought a snowflake tatting pattern from an Etsy seller last week that I'd really like to work on. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight and I'll have something tatted to share. Till next time.