Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Motif #14

Here is my motif #14:

OK, just kidding. Actually it was supposed to be Linda S Davies' Bird of Paradise flower, but I forgot to take a picture. It was a gift for my Grandmother, and I almost forgot to give it to her. Not sure how that happened, or almost happened. So, I will make it again (it actually was pretty simple after I reworked one of the petal types to be tatted continuous) and show a picture of it (and count it as one of my motifs).

Here is my real motif #14:

This is Linda S Davies' Arum Lily. I am pretty sure that an Arum lily is also called a Calla Lily. Either way, it is a really nice pattern. And it can be done continuously with a couple simple changes to the pattern. I used DMC Cordonnet in size 20 for the white and DMC Pearl 5 in colour number 988 for the leaf.

I also thought I would share the following flower picture:

The plant in question is called Anubias barteri var. nana. It is commonly grown in aquariums, hence the Neon Tetra in the foreground. This is the first time this type of plant has flowered for me. And this is the second time I have had an aquatic plant flower for me. The other one has flowered about five times now, but I can't let it 'cause the plant will die back if pollination is successful. The flower is less than one inch in length (the neon is a little over an inch in length).

And lastly, I finally received my copy of Mary Konior's book "Tatting with Visual Patterns". I say finally as I ordered the book at the end of January. I don't have my mail lost very often, but this book just had to be the one package that managed to get lost. Fortunately, Snowgoose, was kind enough to replace the book. This is one book that I have been wanting for years. And I am not disappointed. This book seems to have a little bit of everything in it; it even has a couple 3D flowers! I have several patterns already picked out, but I have a couple almost done pieces to complete. I also want to continue working on my Tatting and Teneriffe Lace Hexagon design I posted a preview of in an earlier post. I also cannot forget Laura's snowflake that she posted last week.

7 comments:

  1. Your Arum Lily is beautiful! I really must get into my book of Linda's designs... she's a very talented lady. I hope you enjoy Mary Konior's book as much as I do. I gave Mom a copy, and she loves it!

    Congratulations on your blooming flower! I'm celebrating the fact that I haven't killed the Antherium that Dave gave me for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man you have been/are going to be one busy guy. The lily is beautiful and I have never seen an aquarium plant bloom before. Congratulations! The book sounds wonderful. I don't have that one. I appreciate that you want to make my snowflake. Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really gorgeous Jeff! It would be awesome if you joing the "Tatted Ring of Bloggers"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diane, Laura, and Sherry. I really like Linda's designs (if you haven't noticed). Apparently, it isn't common, but not rare for aquarium plants to flower.

    This is just my list of tatting related stuff to do. I will have some of my outdoor plants (Cannas) to plant soon, as well as other stuff. I haven't even begun to be busy.

    You know Sherry, I think I will join the "Tatted Ring of Bloggers". Thanks for the suggestion. I have to get back to my test tatting for Ruth Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You must have quite the green thumb. I had no idea that aquarium plants even bloomed at all. That is really neat. And the lily you tatted turned out very nice. BTW today is International Tatting Day so Happy Tatting Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks TattingChic. I'm kinda surprised that this plant flowered as well, though I knew it was possible. Happy Tatting Day to you too.

    ReplyDelete