Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Motif #13 - A Touch of The Irish

OK, I know, I'm a day late for St. Patrick's Day. I was going to post this yesterday, but I got hit with a severe migraine, and posting (well, practically anything) is difficult to do in the dark. Anyway, here is my motif # 13 (this and the heart from the previous post):

This is Ruth Perry's Celtic 4 Leaf Clover from the Tatting Calender. I used DMC Cebelia size 30 in colour number 699. Being 1/4 Irish, I felt obligated to make at least one clover/shamrock in honour of the day.

I was hoping to have another flower completed, but I'm not quite finished. I still have one petal to tat. Then I have to attach wires to all the parts. Then I have to assemble the flower. I hope I get it done for this weekend. I'll post a picture when it is done.

Finally, I have to show you my new orchid:
This orchid is a Doritaenopsis, which is a hybrid between a Doritis and a Phalaenopsis orchid. It is called Doritaenopsis (Minho Pink x Taisuco Firebird) 'DeLeon'. This is my first Intergeneric (between different related genera) Phalaenopsis hybrid, so I am looking forward to seeing if it is easier/harder to grow than my other Phalaenopsis orchids.

4 comments:

  1. Jeff, I hope you're feeling better soon. I suffered terribly from migraine for years, but they've really eased off over the past couple of years... I hope that happens for you! I love seeing all the shamrocks people have posted... I have the thread, shuttles, patterns, and I'm 1/4 Irish too! I guess I have no excuse, and I'd better get some tatted for next year.

    I love the orchid! You, Clyde, and Laura really have a knack. My husband wholesales tropical plants, and he's given me two gorgeous orchids. I don't know what I do wrong, but I've decided just to admire the ones others grow rather than kill off beautiful plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately I only get a migraine maybe once, or twice a month, so I can tolerate them. I'm much better now. I love seeing all the shamrocks as well. And there are so many different patterns to choose from.

    I love this orchid too. I grow mostly Phalaenopsis orchids, which seem to grow in similar conditions as African Violets. I guess it all depends on which kind of orchid you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, You will find that your new orchid grows exactly like a Phalaenopsis and you should have no problems with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Clyde. That is good to know. I was hoping it would be as easy or easier than a regular Phal.

    ReplyDelete