Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowflakes and Tatted Trees

I was kinda hoping to post a little earlier, but I guess I got a little busy. I have managed some tatting, which I will now show you. At least most of it. I have one piece that needs stiffening, and haven't done it yet. I will (hopefully) get pictures once it is finished.

The first tatted motif is a Jane Eborall original. It is, of course, Jane's Snowsettia,

This is a really cool pattern by our very own Jane Eborall. It isn't difficult, though there are a lot of split rings. And juggling four shuttles took some practice (and an extra arm or two would have been nice as well). I ended up placing the two unused shuttles in a small ziploc bag while tatting with the other two. I thought the colours I chose would look good, but the two "conjoined" snowflakes kinda blend together. I will be making this design again. I saw a really cool colour combo on another blog. This will be my 7th motif of my Third 25 Motif Challenge. Thread stats: I used Lizbeth size 20 in colour #116 (Christmas Delight) and DMC Cordonnet size 20 in white.

The next motif is one you should have seen on Pamela's blog. It is The Sixth Day of December from Lene Bjørn's book 24 Snowflakes in Tatting. I have had this book for a few years, but I have only made one snowflake from it. Like many others, Pamela has inspired me to try some of the patterns in the book. For this snowflake, I used Lizbeth size 20 in colour #656 Dark Wedgewood, one of the new colours of Lizbeth I recently bought. I love this colour! I bought it in both size 20 & 40. And its all mine! I'm not kidding. This is motif #8.

The last motif is another one that I'm quite certain you all have seen. It is Nancy Tracy's Tatted Tree:

I have made this pattern before, but I didn't get a decent photo of it. This is a really nice pattern to tat. It's not difficult, and easily deserves the beginner level Nancy has given it. I'm not sure you can tell, but I purposely made the picots somewhat uneven in length. Not dramatically, but enough that it should be noticeable. I thought the tree looks better with the picots uneven; its more realistic IMHO. For this motif, I used Flora size 20 thread in colour #230. This is motif #9 of my Third 25 Motif Challenge.

That's about all for now. I will be away from Dec. 23-26 for Christmas. I don't know if I will close my shop though. I think I will just put up an announcement on the front page. I will try to post again before I go. My parent don't have high speed yet. I hope to get a lot of tatting done, and I'll post about it when I get back. Till next time.

8 comments:

  1. That Snowsettia looks really cool in the colors you've done it in. All your CHristmas tatting looks fabulous!

    I plan on posting my bookmark post about our exchange tomorrow. I know...promises...promises... LOL! I seem to be running behind in blogland at the moment! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas tatting is beautiful and its good to see Jane's pattern tatted, and thanks for the tip about the shuttles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three pieces are lovely, Jeff! I love that shade of blue! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy! All great tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tatting, as usual, Jeff!
    I hope you have a lovely Christmas and get loads of tatting done!
    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tatting. Hope you have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack! I haven't gotten around to it yet, have I? Bad TattingChic!!! I think I will at least get the photos done today...I am up to that finally!

    Oh, YES! and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

    ReplyDelete