Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chinese Dragon Invasion!!!!!!

From the title, I'm sure you can guess what I tatted lately. Yup, you would be correct to assume it was the newest dragon pattern to enter Tatland.

Please click on the photo to enlarge it. This is Anne Bruvold's Chinese Dragon. See the blog post here for the pattern. This is a magnificent piece to tat. The instructions were easy to follow (my "guy" mind skipped over a few critical parts, but that's me and not the pattern). I stayed up late a couple nights in a row so I could keep working on the pattern. I loved watching the dragon take shape. I did make a few mistakes, er, design variations. I seemed to have skipped over the sentence in the pattern where it states where to begin joining onto the Sun. It should be rotated 90 degrees. But I like the way it is. I also skipped over the part of the pattern where the second leg was supposed to be tatted. I happily tatted a good 4 or 5 rings and chains past the point. I had to cut 4 or 5 rings and reattach the thread. I fortunately didn't have to cut the second shuttle thread. I used Lizbeth size 20 thread in colour # 142 (Turquoise Twist). In size 20 thread, the dragon is about 8 1/2 inches long from the nose to the tip of the tail, and about 4 inches tall. I plan on tatting the dragon again. I think it would look gorgeous if tatted with a metallic thread. I'm thinkin' Oren Bayan metallic thread in green, red or blue. I'll have to order some in one or more of those colours. This will be Motif #3 of my Third 25 Motif Challenge.

I know. I was going to post about the new tatting book I got, but it will have to wait until next time. On the plus side, I can also blog about the new thread I purchased recently, and about the two tatting books I found on ebay this weekend. Till next time.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool... and it's in the perfect color! Of course, my mom would prefer red. By the way, Mom loved the pieces from you! She was fascinated by the way each chain linked together. Thanks for helping me make her smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice of colour! And if it is any consolation; I keep cutting away pieces when tatting this dragon too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colour. And your picots are very neat and uniform.

    Did you 'block' this piece? If so, how did you manage to keep the picots round?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I always appreciate them. I'm glad you all like my colour choice. I wasn't sure if it would work.

    Glad to hear that your mom loved the chainmaille, Diane.

    Yes Anne. I feel much better. And thanks for giving us the pattern.

    Thanks again Vanessa. The even picots are from years of practice.

    As for the blocking, yes and no. I simply wet it and laid it out, smoothing it and making sure everything was in place. I didn't see a need to pin it out. That's how my picots are still round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dragon! I'll be looking for it when you tat it again. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope things are going well for you during this time. I didn't see this dragon before. I just saw it on the "25 Motif Challenge" site". Very nice work.

    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Dragon, Love the colour. I have just finished one too but it's nowhere near as bright as yours. Fab pattern.

    ReplyDelete