Friday, May 28, 2010

My Mystery Chainmaille Project

I promised to post about my Mystery project, so here I am. Several people guessed what I had made. While no one got it, there were some really good guesses.

I won't keep you in suspense. May I present, my chainmaille ............ Tie!


That's right. A chainmaille tie. It is made out of bright aluminum and is quite light, it weighs about 5 ounces (about 139 grams). This is also my first design done in chainmaille. There are a few tutorials available for chainmaille ties, but I didn't like the way they looked. So, I made up the pattern as I went. I have to say, that while like the way it turned out, it is very over-engineered. I really wanted the tie to look like, a tie. A real cloth tie, so that's what it's modeled after. I'm not sure how long it took to make. I know I watched three movies while making it and then some. So I'm guessing that I spent about 6 hours or so working on it. Hopefully I'll be able to wear it sometime. This will probably be another item I won't be making to sell.

While making my chainmaille tie, I had another great idea. A tatted tie! I haven't worked out any of the details yet, but I have it pictured in my mind. It would have fairly solid-ie: little negative space, though I'm not ruling out simple rings and chains. And it would have to be quite manly, of course. No excess picots, or other frilly things. I'm not sure if this has been done before, but it's still going to be fun to try. And, as an added bonus, this will give tatting a purpose! I know, we've been there before, but still.

That's all for now. It's supposed to be cool and rainy here all weekend, and I have the weekend off. I plan to spend most of it tatting. Till next time.

15 comments:

  1. That price is completely reasonable for a sterling bracelet. I'll bet you'll sell them.\\

    And the tie rocks. I've not lately seen a more well protected sternum. if someone shoots an arrow at you all you'd have to do is stand right in the middle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krystle. It's nice to know that my Sterling bracelets are reasonably priced. Hopefully I'll never have to see if the tie will protect me from an arrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unique! Nicely done!

    My thought is that it might be heavy around your neck?
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that tie is something! A tatted tie, why not? Suppose it would look odd with beads in though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tie is awesome! Wear it!

    I'm pretty sure I remember reading about tatted jabots or cravats or something from back in the day when it was still OK for men to wear lace. I'm sure you could come up with a good tatted tie for the modern era.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, now that is cool. That looks like it has a bit of weight to it. Definitely one of the neatest ties I've seen.i

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your comments. I do plan on wearing it when I have a chance. It isn't as heavy as it looks since it's made out of aluminum. Had I used stainless steel, the tie would weigh about one pound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a chainmaille tie! Good thing you don't have longish hair! You would get your hair caught in it, LOL! It looks kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chiclet. It is good I don't have long hair. However, I have managed to get my beard caught in it a few times. Though that also happens with the chain/necklace that I wear all the time. Glad you like it. And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool, cool tie. It looks really good. Bet you got some great comments when you wore it. A tatted tie would be interesting. What colour would you make it in?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Umintsuru. I haven't actually worn the tie outside the house yet. But I do hope to. I'm still trying to get used to it. It moves and acts differently than a cloth tie. And I'm sure I'll get some great comments when I wear it in public.

    I'm not sure what colour the tie should be. Since there's going to be a fair bit of work in it, I would want it to work with several different colours. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the late Congrats on the lovely chain-mail tie its gorgeous Bravo
    Joy in OZ

    ReplyDelete