Tatting and Teneriffe Lace Hexagon? Some of you may not have any idea what I am talking about. Using a small round motif I made using Teneriffe Lace (brief definition from Wikipedia here), and surrounding it with tatting, I created a hexagon shaped motif that became motif #2 of my 1st 25 Motif Challenge. You can read that post right here. I originally decided to continue making and joining a total of 7 hexagons to create a doily. However, after only four, I liked how it looked, and quite frankly felt it would be too large for my purposes.
At it present size, the doily measures 10 3/4 inches long and about 8 inches wide. Its not done, as evident by the two long threads coming off of the split chain in the upper left quadrant of the picture. Funny story here. You remember Roomba, right? If not, click here for some background on my Roomba. I really don't know how, but somehow Roomba got a hold of the thread between the fourth motif and the shuttle (this was before I joined it to the rest of the doily). You could probably imagine what happened next. I spent several minutes carefully unwinding the thread out of Roomba's brushes. A picture would probably be good right here, but I never thought to take one. I was shocked by this behavior. And to think that I had purchased Roomba the Scheduler Upgrade with the charging Home Base that its been begging me for. Anyway, I had place a Magic Thread in the first chain of the second round. Had was the key word here. Somehow, Roomba pulled out the MT. Fortunately that was the only damage to the motif. Maybe Roomba's AI (artificial intelligence) was trying to express it's creative side. I'll never know. With the MT gone, I realized I like how it looked, and didn't need the MT, since I could split chain into an edging. Which brings me to a design problem. Roomba hasn't told me how I should finish the doily.
In its current state, I'm not happy with the triangular space between the four motifs. The following picture illustrates these spaces better.
My problem could be solved with at least two solutions. The first one involves making an edging consisting of two rounds. The first round would be simple, perhaps just chains until I get to one of the triangular spaces (like the one above), where I could hopefully use rings and chains (or perhaps chains and mock rings) to fill in the space. A second round would tie the whole design together. The second solution would involve making four small filler motifs separately, joined as I made them. Followed by the second round, again tying the whole thing together. I am going to have to think about this one; though I prefer the first solution. Suggestions are welcome, as always.
I've also decided to take Sharon's design challenge #4. The rose is almost done. My ultimate design is similar to the above hexagon. That's all I'm saying right now.
For all of you wondering, the "Renegade Dawg" hoodie is done. I'm not ready to show it just yet. I just dyed my mustache and goatee right before I started this post, so I'm not ready to model the hoodie yet. And no, I didn't use blue dye. I don't think I would be allowed to have blue hair/facial hair at work.......but it would be so cool. Later.